20 Jul 2014

Highlands, Glens and Western Isles, day minus 1


Started off grey and soupy, so I stayed in, finished setting up this blog.
Then I decided to go for a ride, so used the cheap android tablet I have to plan a route with a website called ridewithgps. The website is based on google maps but the android device is too insensitive to draw properly so few strokes to move the cursor around and you end up with the route a 200 kilometres long spidery mess.  So after wasting about an hour on an unrideable route,  the weather improved and I got out on my bike along roads inland from here.
They were almost empty. Rode through Dundonald with a castle and then back along the coast. I was running out of time so I came back along a main road which is almost empty too. Turned out this emptiness is partly to do with Glasgow fairs week when everyone heads off to Spain for a holiday. 
After a quick shower it was time for my TV appearance. Simon and Nick the two guys who are shown in the photos spent sometime setting up. I was asked questions like why did I do Audaxes  not sure on that one...  we did a tour of my bicycle with the various bits explained by me. One question he didn't ask which everyone else does, is what happened to your backside on the saddle for such a long time. You can see my FAQs on the blog page about this summer's rides.
After that i joined a bunch of other riders at the pub. I completely misunderstood where to go. The pub was three minutes walk away. I cycled about a mile until I decided there can be no pub in the direction I was going. And then came home to wash and dry my clothes. I used the microwave to dry my cycling mitts and didn't realise they were nearly dry so they started burning inside the microwave.
This is a good start to the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment